Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Artist of the week: John Biggers


John Biggers is one of my favorite artists and a huge inspiration for me. I remember as a kid my mother taking me to A Nubian Notion in Dudley Square. I recall looking through the large stack of framed prints and seeing his "Shotgun House" painting amongst his other works and the works of other amazing Afro-American Artists. What I love most about his paintings was his incorporation of African and Afro-American influenced patterns into his work along with a figurative style clearly influenced by African sculptural forms. In his monumental works he explored the merits of Black culture and history from antiquity to the modern day. His work is an inspiration and as an artist I hope My work will move people as much a his work has moved me.

No comments:

Post a Comment